English Teaching Assistants are talented undergraduates and recent graduates from universities in English speaking countries. Excellent communication skills in English are required to participate in this program.
- Help the English teacher prepare the lesson plan before it starts
- Help the English teacher prepare the materials for the lesson
- Lead speaking, listening and reading activities
- Use games connected to the lessons
- Use materials connected to the lessons
- Supervise pupils in the classroom
- Work with small groups of children
- Deliver presentations about your country
- Encourage students learn about your culture
- Organize the English week at school
- Attend staff meetings
- Act as a resourse in the English lab
- Occasionally go on school´s field trips
Skills and competences to be acquired:
- Interpersonal abilities
- Communication skills both in English and in Spanish
- Lesson planning
- Classroom management
- Dates: Year round (late February to December)
- Duration: 1 up to 5 month
- Volunteering days: Monday to Thursday from 8am to 1pm (suggested).
Fridays off are ideal for long weekend travels in Peru with other volunteers or for just spending good quality time with your host family and their children.
- Native level of English language skills
- University undergraduate or recent graduate (2 years limit)
- Age limits: 18-24
- Ability to work in a team
- Flexibility, creativity
- Excellent communication skills
- Empathy. Enthusiasm
- To be mentally and physically fit
- Sense of humour
*Spanish or teaching experience are NOT requirements.
- Volunteer teaching assistant experience in a partner school.
- Recruitment of a local host family who will provide you love and support and a real home environment. They belong to the school community where the teaching assistant volunteers.
- Airport pickup in Lima
- Welcome tour in Lima.
- Acculturation Seminar
- TEFL Training (6 hours)
- Regular support.
- Regular contact with the partner school and host family
- Travel advice.
- Program completion certificate.
- Spanish conversation club (available in Lima)
- Charity work (available in Lima)
- 3+ months programmes are split in two different cities and host families.
Read more of the great host families who participate in this program and their expectations: http://www.volunteachperu.com/host-families/