Our aim is to make your experience unforgettable and meaningful for schools.
The small Programme fee requested for the Teaching Assistant Experience allows us to deliver the programme to the partner schools at no cost. It is the only scheme that requires a fee to the participant. We arrange everything for you; not only at school and with recruiting an appropriate host family for you, but also supporting you with personal matters you might unexpectedly need support with, when you are abroad.
We recruit up to 50 participants for the TAE Programme. This permits us to be approachable and offer a personalized experience to each participant. In addition, being your stay in Peru well organized by us ourselves, it will help you to reduce your monthly stipend to the minimum. Programme fee covers the following services:
The arrangement of the placement(s) in a reliable host school(s)
The position is voluntary and schedule goes from Monday to Thursday from 8:00am to 1:00pm. Schools are located in safe and nice areas only. Schools are located in the cities of Lima, Huaraz, Arequipa, Iquitos, Chiclayo, Cajamarca, Tarapoto, Huancayo and Piura.
The recruitment of a genuine host family(s)
[Two host families are recruited for 2+ months longer programmes]
Host families are recruited in schools and carefully recruited by VolunTeach Peru. They belong to the host schools communities and will provide you love, support and a real family environment for the time you have applied for. They will provide you meals, accommodation and will treat you as a real member of the family. Similarly, living with a Peruvian host family will offer you the invaluable opportunity to experience the Peruvian culture first hand as well as to learn from our traditions, dances, delicious cuisine and put your Spanish into practice
Host schools are mid-class private institutions [far from private education in the UK], they teach 6-12 hours of English weekly which means they fully understand and appreciate the importance of learning English with a native speaker of the language and the cultural approach aspect for their students.
VolunTeach Peru pays an expensive liability insurance every year. Universities overseas strictly require Organisations and employers to hold this documentation so they can allow their students to volunteer or work for VolunTeach Peru.
You may have many questions before you arrive. Feel free to ask about every little detail you would like to know about Peru, the school, teaching tips, your Peruvian host family preferences or travel plans in South America. We usually reply messages within 24hours and sometimes instantly.
Regular contact with affiliated Universities abroad
We are happy to provide participants legal papers on VTP and fill out university forms. We do this to re-assure our commitment with them and universities. When needed, we may also contact university for advice too.
Airport Pick-up and transfers
A VTP representative will pick you up from the Lima International Airport at the arrival time you prefer or that has been arranged by the organisation. We welcome you at the airport and transfer you to our temporary accommodation in Lima for 2 nights (if your placement is not in Lima) or your host family house.
One day sightseeing in Lima
We organize a city tour around Lima with other participants arriving the same date as you. We take you to the historical city centre, provide a nice lunch and visit together the tourist areas of Miraflores and Barranco. A relaxing and ideal day to meet everyone before the ELT training the day after.
Acculturation and Orientation Seminar
It is compulsory for all volunteers. We teach volunteers good and not so good cultural aspects and facts of Peru. Pros and cons of the country and how to deal with them in the event of an emergency.
In-service ELT Training
Candidates attend a 6 hours training before they can actually teach in schools. Transport, snacks and lunch are provided. Training is delivered by Mrs. Lucy Castañon, VTP Director.
In-country support along your stay
You are not alone. There is always a VTP Representative you can contact online or on the phone. We are approachable and committed to help you anytime. We are just a phone call or an e-mail away from you.
The development of two charity projects thanks to your contribution
We run two projects in public schools; Colegio Ollantay and Colegio Tupac Amaru, both located in the south of Lima. Volunteers are very welcome to join us teaching English to children and teenagers every week. We believe English is the key to access better opportunities in life. Why not giving them the opportunity to learn the language so they can us it as an incredible tool for success for their futures!
One-free teachers training in host schools
They take place at the host school, either in Lima or in a different city. Peruvian teachers of English are trained to articulate their expertise with your cooperation in class and guarantee a learning impact for children in class.
We coordinate every single arrangement with your university, host school and Peruvian host family. The whole process takes us around 3 to 6 months before you arrive. Fee covers administrative costs that we incur every month such as taxes, a lawyer, an accountant, promotional and marketing costs, teaching trainings, universities ambassadors in several cities throughout the UK, office supplies and logistical support.
Supervision at your host school
VTP visits partner schools once a year in all locations where the programme is run. During the visits, we deliver information sessions to potential host families, interview them, train teachers, hold meetings with the VTP Coordinators and observe classes.
The Programme Fee
- Application Fee US$50: To register the student´s participation in the programme. This paid when the application has been successful.
- Programme Fee: It is a one off-payment and should be completed 2-3 months before the candidate arrives in Peru.
- Independent option (no host family recruitment): One off payment of USD$200. VolunTeach Peru will advice the candidate on accommodation options.
|1 Month (5 weeks)||USD$520|
Do you need more information?
The work of VolunTeach Peru is independent. Despite of being a social enterprise and not an NGO obligated to declare where the money received goes towards, we are comfortable displaying the breakdown of the fee cost requested for this programme:
- 20% The recruitment of a Host Family(s): It involves travelling to the partner schools (flights, accommodation) and time for informations sessions, interviews, regular coordinations and monitoring.
- 5% Charity Teaching: Resources and transport and administration for Pamplona Alta and Tupac Amaru School Projects..
- 8% Teachers Trainings: Peruvian teachers are trained to work with teaching assistants in class.
- 6% Marketing costs: At universities abroad (including ambassadors) and in schools in Peru.
- 4% Liability Insurance: Mandatory by universities abroad to allow their students volunteer with us.
- 4% Accountancy and Legal services: monthly flat payments.
- 20% Salaries: Coordination of programmes with participants, schools teachers and host families involve full time and partial paid work.
- 5 Others: Welcome tour and 2 nights of accommodation in Lima, In-service training, airport transfers, office supplies, telephone, internet, rent of meeting room, etc.
- 5% Transfer commission: Money is charged when payment is received.
- 18% Government taxes: VTP is legally registered and regulated by SUNAT, Tax Administration Office in Peru.