Full country name: República del Perú
30,054,400 millions (estimated)
Amerindian (45%), Mestizo (37%), European/White (15%), African, Japanese, Chinese, and other 3%
Spanish (official), Quechua (official), Aymara, Ashaninka and other native (primarily Amazonian) languages
The predominant religion is Roman Catholic, but there is a scattering of other Christianfaiths. Indigenous Peruvians, however, have blended Catholicism and their traditional beliefs.
Peruvian Nuevo Sol [PEN]
Lima (capital), Arequipa, Chiclayo, Cuzco, Huancayo, Ica, Trujillo, Ayacucho, Piura, Iquitos.
Phone calls and Internet:
We can help you getting a SIM card for your phone. Get one unlocked though. Skype is the best way to contact friends and family back home.
Internet cafes are on every corner, just need to pay a couple of soles for one hour or a cup of coffee to get it for free.
Cash points are easy to find. Traveler cheques and debit cards are also good options when traveling abroad.
Peru’s public transportation is a little bit hectic but very cheap. Local bus fares start at 1PEN (0.30GBP).
Traveling in Peru can be cheap compared to Europe or other countries. Buses are extremely comfortable and offer food, movies, wifi and restrooms on board.
Peru is the PERFECT culinary destination. Spotlights: ceviche, papa a la huancaína, causa rellena. lomo saltado, rocoto arequipeño, anticuchos. Worths trying them all.
Places to visit and things to do…
- Lima and its beautiful Spanish architecture buildings and museums.
- Arequipa and the Colca Canyon.
- Puno, Lake Titicaca and the floating islands.
- Ica: dune buggies, sandboarding.
- Nazca lines.
- Machu Picchu, Cusco: One of the seven wonders!
- Sacred Valley in Cusco.
- The Amazon jungle of Iquitos, Tambopata or Manu.
- North of Peru, very nice beaches in Mancora, Punta Sal, Cabo Blanco.
- Huaraz: Amazing circuits throughout the Andes
If you are interested in doing some pocket money, tutoring may be a good way to achieve this goal. You will need to ask at your host school what opportunities can be available.
Our recommendation is to see a doctor for further advice on injections and medication prior ro your arrival. Doctors usually recommend to get the Yellow fever one.
Arid and mild in coastal areas, temperate to cold in the Andes, and warm and humid in the jungle lowlands.
Some amazing facts about Peru:
- Peru has the highest sand dune in the world
- Peru grows over 3,000 types of potatoes and 55 varieties of corn
- Machu Picchu is one of the seven wonders of the world
- Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world
- Pisco Sour is the Peru´s national drink
- There are 90 micro-climates in Peru
- Guinea pigs are part of the Andes tasty cuisine
- We have a colourful Rainbow Mountain in Peru
- The Amazon river is the longest one in the world
- Cotahuasi Canyon is the deepest one in the world
- Peru is the 6th largest producer of gold
- Three quarters of the alpacas of the world live in Peru
- Coca leaves are used for medicine purposes
- There are pink dolphins in the Amazon of Peru