Volunteer English Teaching Assistants are talented undergraduates and recent graduates who visit us from universities abroad. They cooperate voluntarily for up to 20 hours a week, must have excellent communication skills in English and the ability to deal with cultural differences.
Volunteering is a decision made by each individual freely. At VolunTeach Peru, the volunteering TAE Programme is combined with a rewarding cultural exchange experience which can impact not only on our schools’ communities, but also on the volunteers themselves. We believe in the power of voluntary work to transform lives and minds. Here, we have listed interesting reasons why we can encourage you to take part in the volunteering TAE Programme:
- Gain an international work experience
- Enhance your employability skills
- Get out of your comfort zone and learn from it
- Raise your confidence and self-esteem
- Personal satisfaction from making an impact
- Increase your happiness
- Meet new people
- Learn from the Peruvian culture
- Expand your networking
- Promote the knowledge of your culture abroad
- Help the English teacher plan the lesson
- Help the English teacher prepare materials
- Lead speaking, listening and reading activities
- Use games connected to the lessons
- Supervise pupils in the classroom
- Work with small groups of children
- Deliver presentations about your country
- Encourage students learn about your culture
- Organize the English week at school
- Attend staff meetings
- Act as a resource in the English lab
- Occasionally go on school´s field trips
- Motivate students to learn English
- Dates: Year round (late February to December)
- Duration: 1 up to 5 month
- Volunteering days: Monday to Thursday from 8am to 1pm (suggested).
Fridays off are ideal for long weekend travels in Peru with other volunteers or for just spending good quality time with your host family and their children.
- Native level of English language skills
- University undergraduate or recent graduate (2 years limit)
- Age limits: 18-24
- Ability to work in a team
- Flexibility, creativity
- Excellent communication skills
- Empathy. Enthusiasm
- To be mentally and physically fit
- Sense of humour
*Knowledge of Spanish or teaching experience are NOT requirements.
*Non native speakers of English will need to submit IELTS (Academic) or CEP examinations results.
- Volunteer teaching assistant experience in a partner school.
- Recruitment of a local host family who will provide you love and support and a real home environment. They belong to the school community where the teaching assistant volunteers.
- Airport pickup in Lima
- Welcome tour in Lima.
- Acculturation Seminar
- TEFL Training (6 hours)
- Regular support.
- Regular contact with the partner school and host family
- Travel advice.
- Program completion certificate.
- Spanish conversation club (available in Lima)
- Charity work (available in Lima)
- 3+ months programmes are split in two different cities and host families.
Skills and competences to be acquired:
- Interpersonal abilities
- Communication skills both in English and in Spanish
- Lesson planning
- Classroom management
Volunteer teaching assistants have the opportunity to share their culture and put their Spanish into practice by joining schools’ life activities or as a guest student in Spanish, Literature, History or Geography classes. Make the most of the experience and broaden your horizons!