Peruvian Government Representative: The Ministry of Education is responsible for monitoring and implementing education policies and regulations in the country.
Schools and universities in the public sector are free. Basic, primary and secondary education are compulsory.
Peruvian Education system is divided into:
- Basic Education: 3 to 5 years old.
- Primary Education: 6 to 10 years old (approx.).
- Secondary Education: 11 to 17 years old (approx.).
- Higher Education: universities, postgraduate centres, institutes, technical colleges.
Education in Primary and Secondary Schools
- Grades range from 0 to 20. Primary schools give letter grades. 0 to 10 grades are unsatisfactory.
- Primary school education length is 6 years and 5 years in secondary.
- Students who do the International Baccalaureate at authorized schools do 4 years of secondary and 2 more to complete the programme.
- Students go to school from Monday to Friday -8am to 1pm- in public schools and until in most of the private ones.
Private Education estructure:
- Schools run by private funding
- Schools run by the Catholic Church and other religious organisations.
- Schools run by private cooperatives.
Schools uniforms: They are not mandatory. However, most schools design their own uniform. They are formal; shirt, trousers and black shoes for boys and skirt-over the knees-, blouse and black shoes for girls.
School breaks: Schools terms are divided either into two-month or three-month periods and school holidays are in between.
- Period I: March to May, 1 week of winter break by mid May.
- Period II: May to July, 2 weeks of break by mid July.
- Period III: August to October, 1 week of break the first week of October.
- Period IV: October to December, 3 months of summer break starting the third week of December.